Miscellany

I have been adding details and weathering to various items recently. A key aspect has been trying to add texture to the rust and grime on these models. I think it makes dark rust, in particular, look more convincing. The following is a collection of recent work.

The farm ute displaying the characteristic rust in the lower corners of the mudguards and the lower sills. Dry-brushed shades of rust and mud. The stain from spilled fuel is India ink in isopropanol. Airbrush-finished with clear matte – I masked the windscreen, but not the other windows to give them the look of accumulated dirt and grime.
Three-quarter view of GLV 31560 reveals end details and light weathering. I added details above and below the floor as I did with the GLXs. Various shades of rust, dirt and grime sprayed and dry-brushed onto the body and roof. Bogies yet to be weathered and ‘roller bearing’ decals to be added above the bogies. Although generally satisfied with the weathering, I felt it needed something to give it a bit more pep.
I gave the weathering some texture by dabbing various shades of rust, dirt and grime powders into wet-brushed paint patches. This is not so obvious in the photo but is clearly evident ‘in the flesh’. Unfortunately, German Grey isn’t as dark as it looks when compared to black: I realised too late (the decals were already soaking) that I should have painted the code boards black to better disguise that I was cutting-and-shutting several decals together. Bogies now weathered and with texture. ‘Roller bearings’ decals in place.
‘Roller bearings’ decals also added to NLHX 29605.
Three-quarter view of a repainted and weathered On-Track Models LLV. It was in candy livery which I don’t care for and also is outside my modelling era. I saw recently that only two LLV’s were ever painted in that livery and that they were based at Cowra. The weathering is textured by stippling weathering powders into patches of wet-brushed paint.
LLV 1560 triple valve side. The textured patches of rust and grime are evident in the lower corners, under the doors and on the roof.
Ground-level view of the other side of LLV 1560.
Weathered IDR Models rivetted BBWs. These wagons were first sprayed with weathered black, followed by patches of grimy black and rust. While still wet, I misted grime over all surfaces to represent ballast dust. Finished with dry-brushed highlights of rust, grimy black and grime.
Trying for an atmospheric photo of the ute on the open road. Despite the body and chassis being separate castings, held together with screws and a clever insert, I was unable to get them apart in order to fit a driver. Unfortunately, this view reveals the driverless state.
From this angle it is less obvious that there is no driver.

Author: Burrawon Branch

Retired - sort of. I have been interested in model railways all my life. I started with Hornby O-gauge tinplate, then Hornby-Triang OO. I have scratch-built models and layouts in 2mm finescale, EM gauge, and HO. The focus of previous layouts has been mainly on operation. The Burrawon Branch is my first foray into a diorama approach to scenic development.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: